An urban planner or regional planner, also called town planner, helps a community or government decide how best to use its lands and resources with an eye towards future growth and revitalization.
An urban planner recommends locations for roads, schools, and other infrastructures in order to help local officials solve social, economic and environmental problems.
English, Mathematics, Geography and one of Economics, Physics, Chemistry
Employers Urban and Regional Planners
Urban and regional planners work for local government planning authorities, the ministry of education and water resources. They can also work in Agriculture, petroleum resources, transport, aviation, oil companies, land management consultancy private firm and individuals.
Essential Skills for Urban and Regional Planners
- Excellent communication skills, both written and oral with the ability to liaise effectively
- High levels of creativity and imagination
- Reasonable mathematical skills
- Excellent IT skills, including computer-aided design skills
- Strong team work and leadership skills
- Good organization and negotiation skills
- Sound analytical skills, accuracy and attention to detail